शनिवार, 1 अक्तूबर 2011

Me and Salsa?–(II) Day 1

From the title itself, you would have understood that I made to this class, and as they say, rest is the history. Indeed literally and figuratively, it is the history now.

I was nervous in daytime. I had not shaved for good 10-12 days. Although a shave is really due this weekend, but not today. But this class made me shave. It is like a child joining a new school, and should look good on the very first day. I was looking at the watch every hour initially, and as it approached 6 PM EST, I started looking at it every 5-10 minutes. I had more water than the normal, so went to washroom more times than the normal. All this because I had made up my mind that the salsa class might not see the sun light today, but it will see me.

The first day, when you think you should be in time. The first day, when you think where will you sit or stand. The first day, when it all starts. So on that first day, I dressed in my blue jeans, and white polo round neck t-shirt. Shoes were a question (?), but as I had seen people dancing in movies and at mango tropical, I knew formal shoes are a better bet for salsa. The place is just five minutes drive from my place, right next to Firehouse Sub and Dunkin Donets. I started at 5-45, and reached there at 5-50. The instructor was waiting, I had signed up online, so they gave me a yellow paper band to put it in my right hand. It was like a ticket for the class. I was still nervous and was smiling continuously for obvious reasons. There were some old ladies in their 40s and 50s, and men who were bald, they must also be in their 40s or 50s.

The clock hit 6, and the lady instructor started giving some instructions on mike. I looked around and found that there are some 20-21 people, males and females in equal number. One girl, may be 18 or 19, one boy, around 20, must be her boy friend, one Indian guy, must be of almost my age, and the other oldies. One person looked like mentally retarded, with her mother giving him company. I saluted to dance, as I felt people of all kind are into it to forget their sorrows, and enjoy the greatest gift of God – The LIFE.

Ok, so the class started. Instructor performed some steps for the warm up, and then the party began. We learned few forward (1,2,3) and backward (5,6,7) steps. Then we performed same in pairs. Rotation was the policy for pairing, so basically you have to do one or two rounds of these steps with each lady out there (and vice versa for ladies, i.e., with each gentleman). Then came the second step, which involved changing hands, and then a round about 360 degree turn, and then finally a combination of all these. All in all, it didn’t feel like one hour has passed. Time progressed pretty fast.

Enough about the class. What about me stading there, going forward and backward? Honestly, I felt out of place, and felt really like a big big beginner. Thought why am I here. The Bollywood / Barat dance is a much better form of dance. But then, realized that this dance form (salsa) is meant for couples, and it would be good to learn as I’m a married man now. It would be fun, though not today.  No wonder, I missed her.

Tomorrow morning, there is a ‘Zumba’ (another dance form) class, but for sure I’ll give it a pass. Salsa for beginners is good enough for me for now, so next class is on Monday. I think now that I’ll be able to make all 6 salsa classes, and that is not going to be enough. I have understood that it is very hard to learn dance, your God gifted natural moves will always remain your life savers.  Anyway, let’s see how it goes. I’ve to go to kitchen and cook something, something. Happy Dancing.

- Neeraj Mathpal
Oct 1, 2011

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें