गुरुवार, 13 मार्च 2008

Funny things happen in life ...

I was about 9 years old that time. I was on the verge of becoming a member of senior most class of my school. Ya, you got it right. I'm talking about 5th class. This was a Sunday. It used to come with lots of happiness. After six days of 50 minutes on television (20 minutes news and 30 minutes a serial), Sunday used to come with a bang with a nice morning of three hour television, a late grand lunch. Of course time to leave bed was the same. 5 in the morning. Five. Huh. Now I can't even imagine to get up at 5.

Well, so on one Sunday afternoon, My Iza (mom) gave my elder brother 1 Rs and said, "dono log devsigh field jao, patang lekar udaao wahaan" (go to devsingh field and enjoy playing with kites). We started but on the way to that field, we saw one shining packet with a very attractive name on it - "Santoor". It was a sada pan masala without any tobacco in it. So we had a little discussion of one minute whether to go to field with a problematic kite or try this Santoor thing. With one coin of a single rupee, we didn't have the luxury to go for both. Then came the historical decision - Santoor pan masala. wah santoor wah. Fine we bought it, but when we tasted it, yukk. It was so bad, we couldn't even have one single supari of it.

That dream of having delicious pan masala was gone and we still laugh when we see kites flying in the sky, because we went on to never learn the art of flying kites. But yes, I can say I've read the Kite Runner, the tale of two afaganee kids. May be some day, with some kids, I'll at least try to be a kite runner for few minutes. You never know, funny things really happen in life.

- - - - -

Then there was one "Daabri" system. We used to live in Purani Bajar (in Pithoragarh city) first and then in Dhungkhani. There is a village "Daabri", some 8-9 kilometers from our place. Me and my elder brother used to have a great chemistry. Lots of fights, play and all fun. I used to refuse to go anywhere (to my relative's homes etc) without my brother. At the same time, If he has to go somewhere alone, I would also go. So even if my mom needs me or him for some other work, or want one of us to stay at home, it was just not possible. It's as simple as that - If he is going to Daabri (one of my nani used to live there), I'll also go. If I've been asked to go alone, I won't go. This attitude of mine inserted this phrase in our life - "Daabri System". It was not that I was afraid of going alone to a place. It was just that whenever possible, we have to be together because then we shall have more fun.

Now, I feel so happy about so many moments, we have enjoyed. Even one second of such thought gives tons of pleasure. Life is funny you know, now we meet once or twice in a year.

- - - - -

In our school, I used to like Kho Kho and Kabaddi a lot. You can say Kabaddi was my specialization area (thanks to R.S.S. for that and their nice evening shakhas). Although, I never represented my school team in Kabaddi, but I was in reservers. Simple reason, I was not allowed in playing seven, was my participation in other important events which were more precious for our school and which had nothing to do with sports. Back to kabaddi, I remember one semifinal game specially. I was in 8th class and had to play for my house. Ours was a team of thin guys and to be honest, to be even in semifinals was a strong performance by our team. Then came the semifinal, our principal was also there to watch that match. Our opposition was very strong. If you have seen some big guys in your school days, all of them were in the team of opposition. First pali, we fought hard. After few minutes, I was the only person still there in our team and there were three on the other side of line waiting to catch me alive. But with some will power and bull type style, we won that pali with one point. Second, we lost by a good margin and the game was over. But pleased with our performance, our principal asked for one more pali. We lost like brave fighters. We, the slim trim guys, were there with bruises and pumping hearts and fought till the last second. Memories of it is a real treat for me. Although we ended the competition with a bronze, but our real prize was those pats on our shoulders.

Now, I feel like playing Kabaddi sometimes, but can not get some enthusiastic friends to play that. Life is funny! Right.

- Neeraj Mathpal
March 13, 2008

1 टिप्पणी: